Ecuador Birds & Wildlife Photo Tour
November 2-11, 2023
Ecuador is one of only 17 MEGADIVERSE countries in the world. What that means is that Ecuador contains a huge number of species compared to most other places on earth. This small South American country can boast over 1600 bird species including an incredible 130 species of hummingbirds.
We’ll photograph hummingbirds, tons of other species of birds, mammals and insects, flowers, and anything else that we can find. We’ll spend time with professional nature guides who will lead us right to the birds and animals and we’ll sleep and eat all meals at wonderful eco-lodges the entire time.
Nov. 2, 2023
Fly into Mariscal Sucre International Airport (UIO) in Quito, Ecuador arriving sometime during late afternoon or early evening. Our hotel has a free airport pick-up service for your transfer to the hotel. We meet at 6pm in the evening at the designated hotel in Quito, Ecuador.
Drive to our first lodge. Access to amazing feeding platforms, and multi-flash hummingbird set-ups.
Day trip to a private natural area led by a local naturalist who will bring us close to a huge variety of wildlife and birds. Return to lodge after a full day of photography.
All day access to amazing feeding platforms, and multi-flash hummingbird set-ups. Also included is a special photo day with a true jungle guide who will lead us to impossible-to-find species.
Drive to our second lodge. Photograph at special feeding platforms where the action of dozens of species is non-stop.
Overnight at second lodge each night. At least 2 wildlife photo sessions scheduled each day. Highlights include a special antpitta photo session led by professional wildlife guides, and of course more hummingbirds. Learn single flash hummingbird photography technique.
We’ll spend the entire morning doing more multi-flash or single flash hummingbird photography and then begin driving toward Quito with a stop at our lodge’s other property for lunch and different species photography. We’ll then continue our drive to the hotel near Quito’s airport.
Nov. 11, 2023
Final breakfast, then we transfer to the Quito airport for our flights home.
- 9 nights accommodations.*
- Airport pick-up and drop off.
- All ground transportation with professional driver throughout the tour.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) from breakfast on November 3rd to breakfast on November 11th.
- Entry fees into all photography sites.
- Time with local guides and wildlife handlers/experts who will lead us to the best wildlife photo opportunities.
- All guided photo sessions including multi-flash hummingbird set-ups (all equipment provided).
- Group and/or one-on-one critique and photo sharing sessions.
- In-depth wildlife photo instruction and leadership from professional photographer Don Mammoser.
- Tons of fun and a true small group tour with a maximum of 6 participants.
*Accommodations/tour prices are based on double occupancy. For those not traveling as a couple or with a friend, the single supplement will apply.
- Air fare from your hometown to Quito, Ecuador and return (airport code UIO).
- Meals on November 2nd (arrival day into Quito).
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Tips to local guides and drivers.
- Passport or visa fees (visas are not required for citizens of USA or Canada).
- Travel insurance.
- Gifts and items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry etc.